2. It premiered in 1942 and was written for re-consecration of a cathedral destroyed in bombing during World War II but wasn’t performed here till 1962. Rather than glorifying war it was in fact written by a pacifist.
3. Set by a contemporary Australian composer to the words of Kenneth Slessor.
4. Written in 1796 expressing the mood of the Austrians as they fought against the more powerful French, led by Napoleon.
5. Most often heard each New Year’s Eve, this was dedicated to a Czech nobleman who lived from 1766 to 1858.
5. This is an opera written in 2005, is centred around the detonation of the first atomic bomb.